Read on Brandon University Transfer Guidelines Here

Brandon University Transfer Guidelines… Read on Brandon University type of transfer, transfer credit policy, transfer details, course credit for transfer students, required documents, course evaluation process, submission of course outlines, waiver of transfer credit, contact details etc.

Brandon University Transfer Guidelines

The Transfer Guide will help answer questions and provide information on what you need to transfer to Brandon University. You are encouraged to contact the Admissions Office if you have any questions prior to submitting your application. The Admissions Office is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to Noon and 1:00 to 4:30 p.m.


It is the applicant’s responsibility to:

  1. Submit the online application form and non-refundable application fee,
  2. Apply well in advance of the published application deadline given the transfer evaluation process may take twelve weeks to complete.
  3. List all post-secondary institutions attended,
  4. Submit all official post-secondary transcripts,
  5. Submit a high school transcript. The high school transcript is not required for general admission purposes. Rather, it is required for course registration/prerequisite verification purposes so that students do not have to retake material that they covered in high school.
  6. The Admissions Office email address is [email protected]. Almost all communications from the Admissions Office will be sent electronically by email. When applying, use an email account that you check regularly and add us to your safe-sender list.

Brandon University Transfer Information

Types of Transfer Credit

After reviewing the transfer credit request and accompanying course information, evaluators may make one of three decisions:

  1. Specific course equivalent – The evaluated course is deemed equivalent to a specific course offered in the evaluator’s Faculty/School/Department at Brandon University
  2. Unallocated course credit – The evaluated course is deemed to be a university-level course in the discipline of study offered by the Faculty/School/Department but for which there is no direct Brandon University equivalent
  3. No course credit– Insufficient information has been provided about a course, the course is deemed to be not of university-level, or the course was a practical/work learning experience that has no Brandon University equivalent

Transfer Credit Policy

Only courses on which a minimum grade of C (or equivalent) has been obtained will transfer to BU.
Note: In determining transferability, international grades are converted to North American grades using the World Education Services conversion guide.

Transfer credits are entered onto student’s academic record with a grade of P and are not calculated in Brandon University GPAs.
Note: Grades obtained at original institution will be recorded internally for pre-requisite and degree audit purposes

An exception to the above policies exists for courses taken as part of a Senate-approved partnership program between Brandon University and another post-secondary institution (such as the Pre-Psychiatric Nursing – Winnipeg Site program). In these cases, all grades received at the partner institution will be transferred to the student’s academic record at Brandon University upon receipt of the official transcript. Grades received on such courses appear on the student’s transcript and are calculated in the cumulative and degree GPAs.

Transfer Details

  1. All previous coursework must be declared at the time of admission. Failure to do so will result in the revocation of admission status and the forfeiture of all coursework done at Brandon University.
  2. Transfer students who have attempted a minimum of 9 post-secondary credit hours and who have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or greater on all post-secondary courses taken are admissible.
  3. Transfer students who have attempted fewer than 9 post-secondary credit ours and who have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or greater on all post-secondary courses taken and who provide evidence of successful high school completion are admissible.
  4. Transfer applicants not meeting the criteria specified above are permitted to submit an admissions appeal to the Undergraduate Student Appeals Committee (USAC) for consideration.

Course Credit for Transfer Students

  1. The maximum number of transfer credit hours for the 3-year, 4-year and 5-year degrees is listed in the appropriate section of the Calendar for degree sought. Not all courses transferred may fit into a degree program.
  2. Courses from other institutions accepted by Departments for transfer of credit to a student’s program, with the exception of those courses taken on a Letter of Permission, will not normally be subject to the stipulated course prerequisite(s).
  3. Students granted transfer credit must meet all the curriculum requirements for the degree sought at Brandon University. Departments reserve the right to refuse transfer of credit on the basis that the coursework is outdated, also known as stale-dated.

Required Documents

Unofficial interim documents for Canadian applicants may be submitted by email in order to make a conditional offer of admission. Official documents must be submitted in order to confirm any such offer. Final official transcripts must be sent from the degree granting institution, Examination Authority or from the applicant providing the transcript remains in the sealed envelope from the institution.

International applicants must submit official transcripts from the degree granting institution, Examination Authority or from the applicant providing the transcript remains in the sealed envelope from the institution. Transcripts not in English must be translated by a certified translator along with a note indicating they received documents in a sealed envelope. The original official transcript and the translation must be sent to the Admissions Office

English language proficiency test scores must come directly from the testing centre. All documents become the property of Brandon University.

What is the Course Evaluation Process?

  1. The Admissions Office will contact applicants via email for a course syllabus (see definition below) for all courses potentially eligible for transfer credit.
  2. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain course syllabi from previously attended institutions.
  3. Transfer credit will only be assessed once the online application and the non-refundable application fee are received.
  4. The transfer credit process is automatic for courses from accredited post-secondary institutions.
  5. Students will be given the option to waive transfer credit for courses taken more than five years ago as determined by the Admissions Office.
  6. The Admissions Office is the liaison between the student and the faculty making the assessment.
  7. The Admissions Office will notify the student by email of the transfer results once the assessment is complete.
  8. Students may request a review of transfer credit within six months of receiving the final transfer results email.

Submitting Course Outlines

Courses outlines must be received in the format listed below.

  1. Course outlines must be in English and include the following information:
    • Name of institution
    • Location and contact information for the institution
    • Course code and title of the course
    • Number of course contact/credit hours
    • Session in which the course was taken
    • Description of topics covered in the course
    • Assigned textbook and/or readings
    • Description of learning outcomes and evaluation criteria
    • Grading scale
  2. Each course outline must be sent as a separate attachment in an email.
  3. Each attachment must include both the course title and the course number in the filename.

Waiver of Transfer Credit

Applying as transfer students (those who have taken previous courses at another accredited post-secondary institution, i.e. either a university or community college) must submit official transcripts for all coursework taken. Grades obtained in such previous coursework may affect status upon admission and/or whether admissions is granted or denied. Notwithstanding this, however, students may request a waiver of transfer for all courses taken five years or more prior to admission.

For operational purposes, the five-year period will be calculated based on the first day of classes of the first term for which Brandon University registration is sought. Courses at other post-secondary institutions which concluded five years or more prior to that date are subject to the waiver, if requested.

This request must be made in writing to the Admissions Office by completing the Transfer Credit Waiver form. The waiver, if granted by the Director of Admissions, is permanent. Where such a waiver is granted, the courses concerned will not be evaluated for transfer credit, will not appear on the Brandon University transcript, and will not affect academic performance calculations at Brandon University (once the student has been admitted).

Course Stale-Date

Some individual departments do have a stale-date policy. Biology, Business Administration and Graduate Studies in Education will not accept courses past 7 years, 8 years for Justice Studies, 10 years for Bachelor of Nursing, and 15 years for Environmental Studies, and Psychology.

Courses listed in the Transfer Database will automatically expire on the fifth year anniversary when the course was last assessed for credit. Students will be required to submit a course syllabus for an expired course so the course can be reassessed by the Department. Evaluations in the Transfer Database are subject to change without notice and expired evaluations may be reassessed differently from the previous evaluation.

Transcript Stale-Date

Students must submit a current transcript no more than one-year old at the time of application.

Transfer of Credit from Community Colleges

  1. Requests for transfer of credit from community college programs into degree programs will be considered on a course-by-course basis where there exists an equivalent Brandon University course.
  2. Consideration will be given to the established practice of accredited universities within the jurisdiction in which the community college is located.
  3. Since not all community college courses are equivalent to university level courses, the final decision on transfer credit is the prerogative of the department and the Dean of the faculty concerned. If, in the opinion of the department, a student has significant post-secondary credit for which no Brandon University equivalent credits exist, the student may be granted advanced placement.

Letter of Permission – Courses Taken Elsewhere

Brandon University students who wish to take a course(s) at another accredited post-secondary institution for transfer of credit to their program must obtain a Letter of Permission from Financial & Registration Services before they make application for the course. A non-refundable fee is charged for a Letter of Permission.

Requests for Letters of Permission should be received by Financial & Registration Services at least one month prior to the dead-line dates established by the university to be visited. Letters of Permission may be granted to students who have Regular Student Status. Students who do not have Regular Students Status (i.e. Probationary, Mature) will have their requests approved by the appropriate Academic Dean or Program Co-ordinator before a Letter of Permission will be issued. Students must establish residency at Brandon University before a Letter of Permission will be granted and no Letter of Permission will be issued for a student who has not registered for any Brandon University credit hours. Residency is established usually through the successful completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours. Students who do not meet this requirement may be granted written approval to obtain a Letter of Permission through their Academic Dean or the Program Co-ordinator.

As approval for the issuance of a Letter of Permission for courses is the prerogative of the academic faculty, students are advised to have their selection of courses reviewed by the appropriate faculty advisor to ensure that requested courses will fulfill major/minor or other degree requirements. Issuance of a Letter of Permission does not imply that degree residency requirements, prerequisites, or major/minor requirements have been waived.

It is the student’s responsibility to see that upon completion of the course, an official transcript is sent as soon as possible to Financial & Registration Services directly from the institution where the course was taken. Only courses on which a minimum grade of C was obtained will be transferred to the student’s record at Brandon University.

Visiting Student

Applicants who intend to transfer Brandon University credit elsewhere must obtain a Letter of Permission from the Registrar of their home university, which guarantees transfer credit for courses taken. The Letter of Permission should be submitted with the application for admission; a Letter of Acceptance cannot be issued until this letter has been submitted. Letter of Permission should indicate either the date when the letter will expire or the list of approved courses to be taken.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Transfer credit for Advanced Placement is granted in specific subject areas if a minimum score of 3 is achieved with some departments requiring a minimum score of 4.
The Faculty of Science requires a minimum grade of 4 for transfer.

Accepting transfer credit for Advanced Placement is voluntary. Students must apply for transfer credit by completing a Request for University Credit for Advanced Placement Form then submit to the Admissions Office by August 31.

The College Board number for Brandon University is 000905.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students with an International Baccalaureate Diploma with an overall score of 24 points are considered to have the equivalent of Manitoba High School Graduation for purposes of admission to Brandon University. The IB Diploma must contain at least three Higher Level courses, with the remaining courses being either the Higher Level or the Standard Level.

Students taking Grade 12 along with the IB Diploma or IB subjects will be considered for admission on the basis of their regular Grade 12 subject areas. A minimum score of 4 is required on each higher level IB course to be considered for possible transfer of credit.

Accepting transfer credit for International Baccalaureate is voluntary. Students must apply for transfer credit by completing a Request for University Credit for International Baccalaureate Results then submit to the Admissions Office by August 31.

Admissions Office
Rm 104 A.E. McKenzie Building
270-18th Street
Brandon University
Brandon, Mb Canada R7A 6A9

Tel: (204) 727-9784
[email protected]




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here